Information about lessons and activities for 3rd-5th graders.
There are also some other bird interactives on this site.
Here are some videos of birds flying…
Students were learning the Engineering and Design Process (or part of it) through building Straw Structures?
- 50 straws
- 50 pipe cleaners
- 25 paper clips
Build the tallest free-standing structure possible that will hold a golf ball at the top, using the giving materials.
- Must support the golf ball for at least 1 minute.
- Must work with partners and make everyone feel included.
- Must take apart the structure and clean up when finished.
Method and Timing:
- 5 minute individual brainstorming time – students were to be working independently (quietly) in their science notebook, sketching or writing out notes to share with their group
- 5 minute team planning time – share their ideas with their table partners, figure out a way to combine their plans, or use some of the ideas
- 20 minute build time – making adjustments as they go
Reflect and Revise
- The whole block of time was used for the planning and building. We have did not have time for the reflect and revise.