Science Field Day
Saturday, May 11th, 2013 8:30-3:00
Lakeside Middle School, 11833 Woodside Ave, Lakeside, CA 92040
|8:00 am||Team Check In (Mrs.Allard, and parents who are helping)|
|9:00 am||Events Begin|
|2:00 pm||Tentative Start of Awards|
|3:00 pm||Tentative ending time and Campus Clean up|
Directions from Vista Grande:
- 52 East to
- 67 East to
- Riverford Rd Exit – there will be two lanes when you get off the freeway, stay in the right one, but do not turn right. The far left lane must turn left and then left under the freeway - don't go that way.
- Turn left onto Woodside, Woodside follows the path just south of 67
- Follow Woodside for approximately ½ mile. Lakeside Middle School will be on your right. Look for attendants to give directions on parking.
Parking can sometimes be a problem, so it is good to come early to make sure you have a spot.
- Parents need to help direct students to their events and follow the schedule (I will provide before and have copies the day of the event).
- Look for our group at tables in the lunch court area of Lakeside Middle School. I will have a box with extra maps/schedules/name tags, etc.
- I will be unavailable because I am running/scoring Starry Starry Night. I will be at the awards ceremony.
- Go to your event a few minutes before the time that is posted and check in. The people running the event will instruct you what to do next.
- While in between your event(s), you may participate in the free activities. Check your schedule provided at SFD. Some events start at the beginning of the time and then only let a certain number of people into the room.
- Bring a snack to share. Look for a sign up sheet to be made up a week or two before SFD.
- Bring “beach” type chairs to use around the table (the tables aren’t as comfortable as a beach chair).
- We need parent volunteers to help check students in and out of Starry Starry Night (in 1 hour shifts).
General Science Field Day Information (for joining and participating)
- 2 teams, 16 kids on each team, 32 participating students (or less) - 2013-2014 will be one team
- Students need to complete an application
- $30 for entry fee and t-shirt
- Students will compete in 1-2 events
- Students on team will select available events through random draw of names, except for 2nd year students who may choose to repeat their event from last year.
- Most events are two students working together, 1 needs 3 partners, 1 needs 4 partners. Students may only work by themselves in special circumstances.
- Appointments available after school, see Mrs. Allard to schedule, Thursdays
- Student meetings during school hours for information and questions only, no practicing of events
- Students should not drop out after accepting a place on the team.
- Day of the event is SATURDAY, MAY 11TH
- Parent help is great!! Appreciated!! Please get involved in helping your child, their partners, or even other students! But make it fun, not a chore.
- My main objective is for students to feel part of a group, to participate in something science related, and to have fun. I do not put a lot of pressure on the kids, but do expect them to do something on their own to get ready.
- On the day of the event, plan to be there, as a team, from 8am-3pm. There will be other activities there for the kids to participate in besides the competition.
- Announcements will be made primarily by email. Please provide me with an email that you check frequently. If you do not have an email, please let me know so that I can make sure to send anything home with your child.
- Information is/will be posted at www.mattermasters.com (my science website). There is only some there right now. (you are here now!)