Students were learning the Engineering and Design Process (or part of it) through building Straw Structures?
- 50 straws
- 50 pipe cleaners
- 25 paper clips
Build the tallest free-standing structure possible that will hold a golf ball at the top, using the giving materials.
- Must support the golf ball for at least 1 minute.
- Must work with partners and make everyone feel included.
- Must take apart the structure and clean up when finished.
Method and Timing:
- 5 minute individual brainstorming time – students were to be working independently (quietly) in their science notebook, sketching or writing out notes to share with their group
- 5 minute team planning time – share their ideas with their table partners, figure out a way to combine their plans, or use some of the ideas
- 20 minute build time – making adjustments as they go
Reflect and Revise
- The whole block of time was used for the planning and building. We have did not have time for the reflect and revise.